School Closing Information
The School District of Jefferson places the safety of students as a top priority. Every precaution is taken when determining whether or not to delay or cancel school due to severe weather. In making a decision to close schools and/or dismiss early, the Superintendent or his/her designee considers many factors, including the following:
- Weather conditions, both existing and predicted.
- Driving conditions affecting public and private transportation.
- Actual occurrence or imminent possibility of any emergency condition that would make the operation of schools difficult or dangerous.
*For further details please reference School Board Policy EBCD.
The following options may be utilized by the school district when weather conditions require a change in the school schedule:
- Normal school schedule. (Buses will run normal schedule but may be late due to road conditions.
- Two-hour delay in a.m. with normal dismissal times. (All pick-up times delayed two hours with normal p.m. dismissal times.)
- School closed. (All activities cancelled for the day and evening.)
- Early release. This option is used to avoid pending inclement weather conditions.
- Cancellation of after-school and evening activities.
When school is closed or delayed due to inclement weather or an emergency, the following notifications will be provided:
- Rapid notification service to include an email and voicemail to parents, students, and staff.
- Posting of information on the district’s website (www.sdoj.org).
- Posting of information on Facebook.
- Broadcasting of information on the following stations:
- WFAW-Fort Atkinson (940 AM and 107.3 FM)
- WTMJ 620 AM/Channel 4 Milwaukee
- WMTV Channel 15 Madison
- WISC-TV Channel 3 Madison